Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hiroshi of Japan

Alright, so this video needs a bit of introduction. I met Hiroshi here in my Spanish class. I read an article about this phenomenon in Japan called "hikikomori" where young Japanese people who can't find work just hole up in their rooms for long periods of time. Just for discussion's sake, I asked Hiroshi about it and, lo and behold, he said he was a "hikikomori" right up until he left for Spain. (The phenomenon affects at most about 1 percent of Japanese people).



So I thought I'd practice using my audio equipment and talk to him about his experience, and he wanted to practice some Spanish. Unfortunately, the audio has a lot of static, and his Spanish is a bit bad, but it was just an experiment. I hope you all enjoy it. I find it fascinating.

The idea, as far as I'm willing to go out on a limb here, is that my documentary could address different responses from student-aged people in countries deeply affected by the economic crisis. In Portugal, recent graduates are leaving their countries to find work elsewhere; in Greece, they're taking to the streets; in Italy, as a not-yet-posted interview revealed, they're starting their own businesses; and in Japan, above, some give up entirely. (And since the audio is pretty bad on the above video, I'm not sure it'll make it into the documentary, but you maybe know where I'm coming from). 

Anyway, tell me what you think. 

2 comments:

  1. Since you have English subtitles and text screens, I think that you should be able to incorporate it into your documentary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta wonder how many millions of Americans are living with parents, unemployed, having given up on finding a job, surfing reddit all day. Interesting that the Japanese have a name for it.

    I'm stoked you're making a documentary! You rock P.Lo. Miss ya.

    -JMAR

    ReplyDelete